Dream of the east-block.
The Warszawa was a polish car make, whose models were produced by FabrykaSamochodow Osobowych in Warsaw between 1951 and 1973.
The Warszawas were the first cars in Poland after the war. They were popular as taxi-cars for their reliability and wear-resistance, but to their large mass was their power low, so their fuel consumption was high. Altogether 254 471 Warszawas were produced. The car was named after the city Warsaw and manufactured according to plans of soviet GAZ-M-20 Pobeda delivered by Car Factory Gorky in cooperation contract to FSO. Till 1957 was the Warszawa totally identic with Pobeda, after that the front of the car was altered, and smaller modification were made in driving chain; the compression ratio has been raised from 6,2:1 to 6,8:1. The name of new variant was shortly Warszawa M20 57, then called Warszawa 200. From 1962 on the car was equipped with straight four-cylinder overhead (OHV) engine having been much more modern solution than the original side-valve variant. Meanwhile the chassis got over some modernization to meet better the European requirements, but it lacked from the western design.
In 1967 was announced that the Warszawa cars to the western market will be equipped with 1,76 liter Perkins Diesel engines. The first exemplar was presented at the Poznan International Fair in July 1967.